August 16th, 2014
Details about this year’s Got Ancestors?!: 60 Years! – Are We There Yet? seminar with Dick Eastman are now available here on the Got Ancestors?! website. You can see the schedule of talks we’ve chosen, and register online for what will be another great seminar as WMGS celebrates its 60th Anniversary.
We look forward to see YOU there!
August 13th, 2014
We have been working on the Registration Flyer and Online Registration system.
We are very close to being able to open the registration online and start the distribution of the flyer with details of this year’s seminar - GotAncestors?!: 60 Years! – Are We There Yet?
We’re looking forward to celebrating our 60th Anniversary with another great seminar with Dick Eastman who also attended our 50th Anniversary in 2004.
Watch this space and save the dates 10-11 October 2014
October 18th, 2013
We had a GREAT Seminar with Thomas MacEntee.
Now we’re looking forward to next year. 2014 will be Western Michigan Genealogical Society’s 60th Anniversary, so quite the occasion.
We’ve lined up a great speaker for next year – Dick Eastman of Eastman’s Online Genealogy News, so save these dates NOW so that you don’t have a conflict next year.
- Friday Night 10 October 2014
- Saturday 11 October 2014
Mark Your Calendars and we’ll see you there!!!
October 4th, 2013
Attention Procrastinators… ARE YOU HAVING FUN YET?! Don’t miss the chance to attend this year’s Annual GotAncestors?! 2013 Seminar with Thomas MacEntee, Genealogy Ninja. If you need a boost, new ideas, or just need to be re-energized, this program will please you. We intend to have FUN on Friday night and all day Saturday, October 11 & 12 at the Prince Conference Center in Grand Rapids. Go to http://gotancestors.com/ for complete schedule, information and registration form. Registrations will be accepted through Saturday, October 5.
We’ve lined up another great array of door prizes again this year, and something new – a “Tech Basket Raffle”. See this post for details
October 2nd, 2013
We have some great door prizes lined up this year, AND something new – a “Tech Basket Raffle”. The list currently includes the following:
From MyHeritage.com we have
- TWO certificates for a free one year FULL PremiumPlus with Data membership to MyHeritage.com
From FindMyPast.com we have
- A 12 Month World Subscription to FindMyPast.com
From Saving Memories Forever we have
- THREE certificates for a free one year membership in SavingMemoriesForever.com
From JustaJoy.com we have
- TWO certificates for a free one year membership in JustaJoy.com Family Heirloom Exchange
- a voucher that can be exchanged at his Sales booth for either an 11 x 14 color map or a genealogy wall chart.
- a voucher that can be exchanged at their Sales booth for a Tee Shirt.
From Western Michigan Genealogical Society we have:
- a voucher for $25 that can be used towards a purchase at the Western Michigan Genealogical Society sales table
From Newspapers.com we have
- a ONE year membership in the website Newspapers.com
From Fold3.com we have
- a ONE year membership in the website Fold3.com
From Ancestry.com we have
- a ONE year World Deluxe membership in the website Ancestry.com
and NEW THIS YEAR
A “Tech Basket Raffle“. We’re putting together a Tech Basket Raffle that will include at least the following Tech Items:
- an LG Slim Portable Blue Ray Writer - generously donated by M-Disc
- a 10 pack of “1,000 year M-Discs” for the M-Disc writer – generously donated by M-Disc
- a 4GB USB 2.0 Thumb Drive – provided by WMGS
- an iPad folio case – generously donated by FindMyPast.com
Tickets for this raffle will be $5 each.
More prizes will be announced here as they are confirmed.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THESE GENEROUS GIFTS.
Remember – you can’t win if you’re not going to be there!!!
August 22nd, 2013
Online registration for Got Ancestors?! Are You Having Fun Yet?! is now available. If you register before 23 September it’s only $59 for both Friday evening and all day Saturday including light desserts on Friday evening, and lunch and snacks on Saturday.
Click here to open the online registration form to complete your registration online.
Looking forward to seeing YOU there!!
August 19th, 2013
We’e chosen a great lineup of topics for this year’s Got Ancestors?! Are You Having Fun Yet?! seminar.
Thomas MacEntee — will present these sessions:
Friday 11 October 2013 evening
- Internet Killed the Family History Star: How Technology Has Changed the Face of Genealogy
Saturday 12 October 2013
- Successful Collateral and Cluster Searching: Researching non-direct relations as well as those friends and neighbors in your ancestors’ network
- Blog Your Ancestors: Read ’Em, Write ’Em, Find ’Em!
- Mind Mapping Your Research Plans and Results: Creating a diagram or flow chart of ideas and concepts
- 10 Ways to Jumpstart Your Genealogy: Energize your research and be ready to hit the ground running.
Full details are available on the schedule page here.
We look forward to seeing YOU there.
May 31st, 2013
We’re excited to announce that the Speaker at this year’s Got Ancestors?! 2013 will be Thomas MacEntee from Chicago.
Thomas is a genealogy professional specializing in the use of technology and social media to improve genealogy research and as a way to connect with others in the family history community. When he’s not busy writing blog posts, organizing the 3,000+ members of GeneaBloggers, teaching online genealogy webinars and more, Thomas MacEntee is busy in his role as “genealogy ninja.” Stealth is not easy, but he manages to get the inside track on emerging technologies and vendors as they relate to the genealogy industry. After being laid off from a 25-year career in the tech industry in 2008, Thomas has been able to “repurpose” his skill set for the genealogy community and loves to see other genealogists succeed, whether it is with their own research or building their own careers in the field.
Keep watching this site for updates as we plan the schedule of talks we’ll hear Thomas give us on Friday evening and Saturday.
May 23rd, 2013
We’re working on plans for this year’s Got Ancestors?! Seminar.
It will be on 11-12 October 2013 at the Prince Conference Center.
Mark this date on your calendar to ensure nothing else gets booked for this date.
Further details will be announced here as they become available.
October 29th, 2012
Below are the questions submitted by registrants to this year’s Got Ancestors?! seminar. We had many answers to these questions; too many to list all here in this article. Some answers are suggested places to look and others are very detailed. Take a look. You may find the answer to your questions! Click here for a complete list of GotAncestor?! Registrant Questions with Answers. Thanks to all who contributed the Questions and the Answers!
QUESTION: (Vickey Parker) To narrow the search of common last names, is there a trick one could use?
QUESTION: (Sue Irvine) Where would I find records (1745-1812) for a Quaker who married a non-Quaker in central New York? Assuming no birth records, where would the children be baptized?
QUESTION: (Sally Akehi) My great aunt, born 1894 in Iowa, raised in Allegan MI, also married there, but left her Husband & baby in 1915 and went…somewhere!! Chicago, we think. We know maiden name, 1st married name, but NOT 2nd married name!What resources do we have for IL with searchable field for maiden name?? How to break thru this brick wall??
QUESTION: (Mary Alt) Does the Allen County Library have confederate soldier records from the Civil War? Read The Full Entry »